[open-development] Where next for the Open Development working group?

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 11:42:23 UTC 2013


Hello all,

Quick version: check the doodle at http://www.doodle.com/s78zm9y3b7neeh76 and
comment on the etherpad at: http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg.

Longer version below...

I was only able to stay for one day of the OKF Winter Summit - but had lots
of good updates and inspiration from the various local and working groups,
and updates on OKF core strategy, where there are conversations going on
around whether there could be regular areas of 'campaign focus' across the
whole of the network a couple of times a year, and of how working groups
could also develop local branches in order to anchor their work more to
particular places or organisations. We also had discussions about group
structures, and whether we need to create a slightly more formal steering
group and membership - with the general view being that this was only
needed when funds or significant decision making on behalf of the group
were involved. So, with Matthew's e-mail below this is something we might
need to give some more thought to...

*So: *I suggest we aim for a call (via GoToMeeting) with anyone interested
in being involved in plans for 2013: both things we can do on voluntary
basis in our current loose-knit network form; and exploring possible ideas
for a funded project proposal to IDRC. *Fill in the Doodle to choose a time
here:* http://www.doodle.com/s78zm9y3b7neeh76

To carry on the discussion before then of what we want to focus on, I've
summarised all the suggestions in the Etherpad, and some from OKF Summit,
here: *http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg - *and pasted in below. Please do go
there to comment, indicate anything you could volunteer to work on, or
suggest further focus and ideas.

I've also drafted an updated description for the group based on feedback in
the pad:* *"Connecting open knowledge and international development.
Working for inclusive openness through action and advocacy."

Even if you've not been very involved in this list before you are very
welcome (and encouraged) to add your thoughts to the discussion, and to
join the upcoming web meeting*.

All best wishes

Tim

*If you don't have access to enough bandwidth for a web meeting, let me
know and we can look into ways to dial you in to the conversation by phone
etc.

------
*From the pad: http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg *
*
*
*The Open Development Working Group - Planning for 2013*
http://open-development.okfn.org/

The Open Knowledge Foundation acts as a host to a number of working groups (
http://okfn.org/wg/). Open Development is one of them, focussing on open
knowledge in International Development. Below is a proposed update to our
group description, and a list of possible activities for 2013. This is open
for comments until 15th Feb.

*Description of the group* (on the OKFN website)
*Proposed update: *"Connecting open knowledge and international
development. Working for inclusive openness through action and advocacy."

   - *Add your comments or suggested changes here...*


*Opportunities, ideas & actions for 2013 (summarised)*
*Below is a summarised list of activities that have been suggested for the
group. Add your comments on the proposals below. **Please include your
name/twitter handle to indicate who comments are from. E.g. (@timdavies). *

*Online things*

   - *Create a space where membership of the Working Group is more visible
   (e.g Facebook; LinkedIn; Wiki page; OKFN Buddypress)*


   - *Question: *What platform?


   - *Action: *Tim to set-up once decided upon / if wanted.



   - *Regular blogging of interesting open development news*


   - Other OKF working groups make extensive use of their blogs. We don't
   much. Is there someone who would be interested in being blog editor to
   ensure regular news and updates are posted.



   - *Hold thematic discussions on key open development topics - *either in
   a sychronous web meeting, or asynchronous list conversations.


   - *Action: *Any volunteers to coordinate this?



   - *Run online peer-assists - *inviting someone with an open-development
   challenge to put it to the group, either in a sychronous web meeting, or
   asynchronous list conversations.


   - *Action: *Any volunteers to coordinate this?



   - *Develop the conceptual debate on strands of open development through
   working together on articles, journal papers and presentations*


   - *Action: *Does anyone want to propose a first article to work on
   together?



   - *Work on open data and advocacy around the MDGs and post-MDGs agenda*


   - Potentially drawing on other OKF working groups and local groups.


   - *Action: *What would this look like? Can anyone volunteer to develop
   what this might look like further?


*Offline things*

   - *Raise awareness of open development concepts  - *through fringe
   events at European Development Day and other events. This might involve
   workshops, hack days, or presentations.


   - *Action: *We need a volunteer to update
   http://lanyrd.com/guides/open-aid-data/ and/or create an additional
   open-development events calendar (broader than open aid data). *Any
   takers? *(You should be able to log-in and start editing straight away)



   - *Organise local events and activities - such as debates on open
   development for NGOs*


   - *Question: *Is there something as a group we can do to support this?
   Can we support emergence of local 'open development' groups within
   organisations?



   - *Organise open development activities around OKFest 2013 in Geneva*


   - Exact details of OKFest still tbc. but it looks like being September
   in Geneva at a UN Conference Centre. Very good opportunities to target UN
   institutions for conversations on open development.



   - *Run a fellowship programme - *the open science working group secured
   funding for  two part-time 'fellows' who spent their year with a stipend to
   work on open development related topics. Could we do the same? For e.g.
   supporting early career development pofessionals in North and South to work
   on specific open development advocacy and capacity building projects.







On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Matthew Smith <msmith at idrc.ca> wrote:

>  Hi all,****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m excited to see what this emerging Open Development group gets up to
> this upcoming year. Given our interest in Open Development at the IDRC
> (Canada’s International Development Research Centre), I’m trying to see if
> I might be able to drum up some funds to potentially support a group
> activity that would advance the field and grow the community. So, I wanted
> to throw this out to the group for brainstorming – how could some funds be
> put to productive use over the next year or so to advance open development?
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> There are a few constraints, of course. First, the funds would have to
> flow through an institution, so there would have to be someone willing to
> host and manage it. Second, the activity would have to have a focus
> on/include – and preferably be based out of – the ‘global south’. Third, is
> the amount of funds -- we aren’t talking a large amount here, but it also
> isn’t fixed – it would of course depend upon the nature of the activity.
> I’m imagining that it could go as high as 25k, with which I’m sure we could
> accomplish a lot. Of course, if the group came up with an amazing idea, I
> could try to argue for more. ;-)****
>
> ** **
>
> Perhaps when Tim comes back from the OKFN meeting of working groups – he
> can give us an update and then we could do a little brainstorming. There is
> certainly no obligation, of course, I just thought it might be a good
> opportunity given the group is currently pondering what to do for the
> upcoming year. If a good idea emerges, great. If not, perhaps next year!**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> I’d love any feedback.****
>
> ** **
>
> Warm regards,
> Matthew****
>
> ** **
>
> *Matthew L. Smith*, Ph.D.****
>
> +1 613 696 2303****
>
> @openict4d****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* open-development-bounces at lists.okfn.org [mailto:
> open-development-bounces at lists.okfn.org] *On Behalf Of *Tim Davies
> *Sent:* January 25, 2013 1:49 AM
> *To:* open-development at lists.okfn.org
> *Subject:* [open-development] Where next for the Open Development working
> group?****
>
> ** **
>
> Hello all,****
>
> ** **
>
> I'll be heading along to a meeting of the Open Knowledge Foundation
> Working Groups next weekend (2nd/3rd Feb) to catch up with how OKF is
> evolving, to learn from other working groups, and to think about how the
> Open Development group might develop over the coming year...****
>
> ** **
>
> So - what should we be doing as a group? * [Jump straight to the etherpad
> for discussion at http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg ]*****
>
> ** **
>
> Right now we are described as "Central point of reference and support for
> people who are interested in open knowledge in development" and over the
> last year we have been involved in organising OKFest streams, sharing ideas
> and knowledge, supporting hack events on development data, and I'm sure
> lots of other things I've forgotten. ****
>
> ** **
>
> We run through this mailing list, and ad-hoc smaller groups. I'm nominally
> mailing list moderator, but we have no formal leaderships or committee. **
> **
>
> ** **
>
> So - if you can spare 3 minutes, then there's an etherpad here:
> http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg that you can edit to add your thoughts on:***
> *
>
>    - How the group should work****
>    - What we should focus on in 2013****
>    - Partnerships to develop****
>    - And how to spend the small budget OKF make available to working
>    groups****
>
>  Suggestions to the list also welcome...****
>
> ** **
>
> All the best****
>
> ** **
>
> Tim****
>
> --
> http://www.timdavies.org.uk
> 07834 856 303.
> @timdavies****
>
> _______________________________________________
> open-development mailing list
> open-development at lists.okfn.org
> http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-development
> Unsubscribe: http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/options/open-development
>
>


-- 


http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
--------------------------
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales -
#5381958.



-- 


http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
--------------------------
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales -
#5381958.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-development/attachments/20130203/812c034f/attachment.html>


More information about the open-development mailing list