[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Mon Jul 12 17:46:16 BST 2010

On 10-07-12 12:29, graham wrote:
> I would like to have some way to
> identify these texts as coming from a particular original (the internet
> archive is mostly extremely good at maintaining the camera metadata for
> its scans, so there is a solid starting point), but also to identify the
> series of processes it has been through after that.
> Are there any existing ways to handle this kind of thing? None of my
> ideas for creating hashes of data + organization name as unique version
> identifiers seem to hold up :-( I really don't believe attempting to
> catalogue all the variants is either possible or desireable, surely each
> version needs to be self-describing, not listed in a single place.

Sounds like the OPMV vocabulary might be useful, it deals
with Artifacts and Processes operating on Artifacts (controlled
by Agents).

There is support in ORDF for this, see for example,
http://ordf.org/schema/ordf where the opmv:wasGeneratedBy
is filled in by the python process that imports a text file
into the database -- and in this case doesn't perform any
transformations but could well do.

William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation
Fax: +44 131 464 4948                Edinburgh, UK

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python