[OKFest-Coord] OKFestival Call for Proposals is open!

Juha Huuskonen juha.huuskonen at finnish-institute.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 17:21:28 BST 2012

Hello everyone,

We are happy to inform you that the OKFestival Call for Proposals is now
open! There's also an FAQ page that hopefully answers some of the
questions that have been posted on this list. If not then please let us
know at info at okfestival.org (reaches the core organising team).

You can find the Call for Proposals at www.okfestival.org and below is a
blog posting announcing the call by Kat
(http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/28/okfestival-call-for-proposals-released-with-a-twist/)

Looking forward to your suggestions & more dialogue in near future!

Best regards,

Juha.

OKFestival production coordinator / Helsinki

- - - -

For those looking for a reason to come to Helsinki with us this fall,
the OKFestival Call for Proposals
<http://okfestival.org/call-for-proposals/> is released today – and it
has an experimental, innovative focus.

The spin? For this year’s OKFestival (the first event of its kind,
organised almost entirely through virtual conference calls, IRC chats
and co-written documents by an international group of organisers), we’ve
set a specific concentration on daring new methods – from collaborations
to festival programming to open data categories to session formats.
Given this mandate, the 2012 OKFestival theme is “Open Knowledge in
Action”. We’re interested in finding out what /value/ can be generated
by opening up knowledge and working with open data, the ecosystems of
organisations that benefit from and participate in such sharing, and the
impact it can have in our societies. What kinds of new professions,
ideas and community initiatives can emerge within our governments,
markets, networks and neighbourhoods as a result of these engagements?

The exploration of this theme will be visible not only in the festival’s
content, but also in its implementation as the first global event of its
kind. As organisers, we’re all inspired by untraditional barcamps,
unconferences and coding jams – and we want to provide you with the
space to experiment with new types of workshops and interactive
participation formats (I’m hoping someone proposes a ‘fishbowl
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fishbowl_%28conversation%29>‘
style dialogue, for example!).

We’re also opening up more than 2/3 of the programme to you as Guest
Organisers. This move is based on our belief that when an event is
crowdsourced through a co-operative combination of civil society
representatives, programmers, data wranglers, students and members of
government, the most interesting results (and relationships!) are
facilitated. In the Call for Proposals
<http://okfestival.org/call-for-proposals/> you’ll have the option to
submit either a group-run Topic Stream or an individual
Presentation/Event – and we have several interesting spaces throughout
the Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture
<http://arts.aalto.fi/en/> waiting to be filled.

The enthusiasm for OKFestival’s focus has already been very inspiring.
On the public organisers’ discussion list, there have been months of
lively discussion and planning conversations amongst 90+ participants
located around the world. Between interviews on BBC Radio
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/outriders/2012/03/opening_data_opening_the_mind.shtml>
in the UK and open knowledge strategy sprints
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/outriders/2012/03/opening_data_opening_the_mind.shtml>
in Finland, it’s been an exciting ride for all of us on the Core
Organising Team – and we look forward to many of you joining the
Programme Planning Committee with us this Spring.

If you’re in Estonia next month, we are presenting OKFestival at the
Free City
<http://www.pixelache.ac/helsinki/2012/free-city-vaba-linn-26-27-april-2012-in-tallinn/>
festival in Tallinn – and in the meantime, we’ll see you online. The
official Call for Proposals (submission deadlines on April 20th and June
1st) can be found here
<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/28/okfestival-call-for-proposals-released-with-a-twist/%3Ca%20href=>,
and more information about the details of OKFestival’s organisation,
venue and presentation formats are on the Festival FAQ here
<http://okfestival.org/faq/>.