[fc-uk-discuss] The Euston Manifesto.

Graham Seaman graham at theseamans.net
Thu Jun 1 15:53:13 BST 2006

Tim Cowlishaw wrote:

> What do people on-list think about this, especially the paragraph
> relating to IP and open source?
>
> Quoted from:
> http://eustonmanifesto.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=1

I was trying to work out why the manifesto was so negative and who all
these terrible 'left-liberals' they were attacking were; it took me a
while to realise a lot of it is targetted at George Galloway and
Respect.  So I think the manifesto fits into too narrow a political
slot  (left of New Labour but  right of Respect) for any of the
free/open groups to identify with directly. The para on open source
seemed slightly out of place with the rest, though definitely within
their general position (I can't see Stallman or even Raymond signing up
to that paragraph). I think it's great that free culture (in the general
sense) now gets reflected into political  positions in the wider world -
but it's definitely that way round, and this shouldn't be taken as a
political position being provided for free culture to fit into. If
someone wants to offer them some advice maybe they should suggest that
'open development'  is not  that helpful unless the final  result is
also free.   But I suspect it is not just a case of sloppiness, and that
they would positively not agree with this.

Well, my 0.5p...

cheers
Graham