[ckan-discuss] CKAN activity
david.read at okfn.org
Mon Oct 31 12:29:12 GMT 2011
Here's the latest CKAN news from the past couple of weeks:
- OGD Camp in Warsaw - it was great to meet face-to-face with lots of
our partners and friends in the open data ecosystem last week. Exciting too
to meet new faces at the CKAN workshops. We heard lots of really positive
mentions, encouragement and challenges. Blog post:
- Now we have upped the translations of the CKAN UI, David Read has been
getting browser language detection working and the language switcher
working more reliably. To try language detection, clear your current
language setting by deleting your CKAN cookie and browser cache and then
going to http://thedatahub.org/.
- Drupal integration continues to be a hot topic with various parties
getting setup. The 'loose-coupling' method rounded on at the open Skype
meeting last month continues to progress.
- More info about CKAN in general has been posted to ckan.org by Ira.
Read about some of key features: http://ckan.org/features/ and a couple
of key examples of CKAN in use: http://ckan.org/case-studies/
- The Archiver extension is being quickly developed by David Raznick.
Now when you add any CSV link to thedatahub.org, a background process
will download the CSV data into the Webstore. So when we now just need to
expose in the web page a button to preview, download it multiple formats
and access a nice API to it. We also want to add a progress bar for the
download and report errors in the CSV file. Any more ideas and help, do let
us know at ckan-discuss.
- We're having a Webstore meeting on Skype this Thursday, as we look at
merging in features from some similar open source projects. Join in if
interested or want to contribute to this open source data store.
- New developer Ian Murray starts in the team today, with another couple
of developers being interviewed in the next week. We're always on the
look-out for talent: http://okfn.org/jobs/
- Ira has mocked up an improved workflow for adding a dataset and is
looking for feedback - look out for it on the blog this week.
- A bulk upload facility for IATI spreadsheets of dataset metadata is
being perfected by Adria. See the extension:
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanextiati branch spreadsheet-
- A big discussion is going on amongst the dev team about how to express
dataset groups/publishers and the permissions. It's basically it's a choice
between a simple/easy model like Github, where every dataset has an owner,
or something more flexible like unix file permissions. Modelling, use cases
and discussion is going on here: http://wiki.ckan.org/Groups_Refactor
- One of our Amazon EC2 servers had catastrophic hardware failure(!)
taking with it serveral community CKAN sites. Nils and Friedrich restored
them on new infrastructure, with the larger sites no.ckan.net br.ckan.net
ca.ckan.net etc. are now running on the latest CKAN release and much
faster too! The smaller ones are looking to be integrated into
- Integration of PyCSW into CKAN - discussions of how to do this have
been moving forward, with Tom Kralidis chatting with Adria on the CKAN
team's IRC channel (irc.freenode.net #ckan)
- A big milestone: CKAN 1.5 is looking ready to release this week and
James will also have it ready as an Ubuntu package for easy install.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ckan-discuss